Below, please review some important safety tips to follow during the holidays.
GENERAL RULES FOR HOLIDAY SAFETY
- Plan for safety. Remember, there is no substitute for common sense. Look for and eliminate potential danger spots near candles, trees, and/or electrical connections.
- Keep matches, lighters, and candles out of the reach of children.
- Avoid smoking near flammable decorations.
- Make an emergency plan to use if a fire breaks out anywhere in the home. See that each family member knows what to do.
- Avoid wearing loose flowing clothes—particularly long, open sleeves—near open flames, such as those of a fireplace, stove, or candlelit table.
- Consider using battery operated candles. Never burn candles near evergreens. Burning evergreens in the fireplace can also be hazardous. When dry, greens burn like tinder. Flames can flare out of control, and send sparks flying into a room.
- Candles can be extremely dangerous when left unattended or when near any flammable item. We strongly recommend use of battery operated candles instead of wax candles.
- Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens.
- Always use non-flammable holders.
- Keep candles away from other decorations and wrapping paper.
- Place candles where they cannot be knocked down or blown over.
- Be sure candles are extinguished when leaving apartment or going to bed.
- Consider using battery operated candles.
Many artificial trees are fire resistant. If you buy one, look for a statement specifying this protection. A fresh tree will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard than a dry tree. To check for freshness, remember:
- A fresh tree is green.
- Fresh needles are hard to pull from branches.
- When bent between your fingers, fresh needles do not break.
- The trunk butt of a fresh tree is sticky with resin.
- When the trunk of a tree is bounced on the ground, a shower of falling needles shows that tree is too dry.
Place tree away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources. Heated rooms dry trees out rapidly, creating fire hazards.
- Cut off about two inches of the trunk to expose fresh wood for better water absorption. Trim away branches as necessary to set tree trunk in the base of a sturdy, water-holding stand with wide spread feet. Keep the stand filled with water while the tree is indoors.
- Place the tree out of the way of traffic and do not block doorways. Use thin guy-wires to secure a large tree to walls or ceiling. These wires are almost invisible.
Artificial snow sprays can irritate lungs if inhaled. To avoid injury, read container labels; follow directions carefully.
- Please do not use artificial snow on any apartment home windows.
Use only non-combustible or flame-resistant materials.
Wear gloves while decorating with spun glass “angel hair” to avoid irritation to eyes and skin.
Choose tinsel or artificial icicles or plastic or non-leaded metals. Leaded materials are hazardous if ingested by children.
In homes with small children, take special care to:
- Avoid decorations that are sharp or breakable.
- Keep trimmings with small removable parts out of the reach of children. Pieces could be swallowed or inhaled.
- Avoid trimmings that resemble candy or food. A child could eat them!
Before lighting any fire, remove all greens, papers, and other decorations from fireplace area. Check to see that flue is open.
Keep a screen before the fireplace all the time a fire is burning.
Discard ashes in a proper metal storage container with a lid. Do not throw ashes over balconies or leave them in open containers.
Use care with “fire salts” which produce colored flames when thrown on wood fires. They contain heavy metals which can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation or vomiting if eaten. Keep away from children.
Whether indoor or outside, use only lights that have been UL tested for safety. Identify these by the label from an independent testing laboratory.
Do not attach lighting or other decorations to the exteriors of the buildings with nails, staples or other materials that could damage windows, door frames, or the siding on the property.
Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Discard damaged sets or repair them before using.
Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
Turn off all lights on trees and other decorations when you go to bed or leave the apartment. Lights could short and start a fire.
Never use electric lights on a metallic tree.
- When making paper decorations, look for materials labeled non-combustible or flame-resistant.
- Never place trimming near open flames or electrical connections.
- Remove all wrapping papers from tree and fireplace areas immediately after presents are opened. Do not burn papers in the fireplace. A flash fire may result as wrappings ignite suddenly and burn intensely.
Thank you for your cooperation and Happy Holidays!